Wednesday, June 23, 2010

20th

Thoughts for today June 23rd, 2010


Outside my window...The sun has set and the tree frogs and crickets are singing. These are the singers of summer nights, the song that lulls me to sleep at night.

I am thinking... about today... only 20 years ago today. Today is what would have been my 20th wedding anniversary. I remember a day filled with hopes and dreams of a future I would share with my best friend. I recall it being a very humid day and having to go off in the morning to have my nails and hair done and my mother asking me to pick up the bags of rolls for the after party! haha of all things!  The rain was off and on that day and I was little sad because of it. I remember getting home and everyone so busy with themselves that I dressed and readied myself. The little details that stayed with me that morning...The flower delivery showed up at the house with the wrong flowers and my brother had to run to fetch the correct ones! My niece was my flower girl and the basket of her flowers was so full of water she couldn't lift it, No one could find my Dad's boutonnière and he had on my going away flowers! haha, later we learned my cousin thought it was an extra and pinned it on her fiance :)  At the church, my father told me I could back out if I wanted ummm nope thats ok dad! And then it was time. My best friend cried as he said his vows to me...awwww! and such a kiss he gave me! I was so happy!! and as I said I do, there was a clap of thunder!!! wow! We made it through the reception and then it poured! People kept saying "its a sign of fertility" (yes 10 months later Patrick was born!). We danced, we ate, we drank, we danced and then it was over and we went off to our Mexican Honeymoon... that is a story for another day!

I am thankful for...The eleven and a half years I had to spend with my husband, my best friend. I am forever grateful he came into my life and I wouldn't change a minute of it.

I am wearing... a collared shirt and shorts today..nothing fancy.

I am creating... nothing much at the moment... I'd like to create a clean house but the odds with 3 teens home for summer break are against me!

I am going...To Denmark with my sisters on Monday and am excited about the trip!

I am hearing... The airconditioner and some fight show on TV that Sam is watching.

One of my favorite things... A good book and a good cup of tea to snuggle down with, right now I am reading "Outside Boy" a story about a Tinker family from Ireland.

A few plans for the rest of the week: packing, a list of house rules, notes for mother in law who will stay with Sam and grocery shopping.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing.. see the top as I can't get the picture to move... These are our wedding bands. I wore them around my neck after Tom died and the filigree on Tom's ring broke and was repaired 3 times.. the first being in the first month after he died. I was holding them not to long ago thinking how the promise of a lifetime together was broken and how the rings seem to symbolize that more than the union of love we shared. Might be time to turn them into something else that is whole.

1 comment:

Elise said...

I thought of you both yesterday and I remember the wedding with so much fondness. Of course, no one would sit with Marc and I ..... was it the horns? And it was the first time we heard the Passing of the Peace and nearly jumped out of our skins!

I remember taking a walk in Hyannis before the wedding and admiring the white picket fences and hyrdrangeas. I remember the beautiful church...so white and serene with beautiful wood. I thought about all the people who had come before you to walk, and pray, and love in that space.

I remember how beautiful you looked and how handsome Tom was. I remember squeezing Marc's hand as you said your vows {we had not been married for a year ourselves}. I remember the kiss Tom gave you and the look of such bliss and joy. I remember dancing and laughing and having a tremendous time.

Much love.
Elise